Another cathedral like Chelmsford Link that was originally an ordinary Parish Church. Like Chelmsford too, it was elevated in 1914, at the creation of Sheffield Diocese from part of the large Diocese of Durham. Part of the building dates from the 13th century, with the most recent major addition made in the 1960s. The various architectural styles are well woven together and the beauty of each can be appreciated without detriment to the other parts of the building. Sheffield's prominence in the steel industry is marked by steel Nativity scene in the crypt and by a wonderful stainless steel font. At the foot of the side steps is a bronze anchor memorial by Stephen Broadbent, dedicated to the special relationship between the Regiment, the City of Sheffield and the ships of the Royal Navy which have borne the city's name; it which was placed in the Cathedral in 2000. It's just a pity that it bears a strong resemblance to the poster for "Titanic"!
We visited on a Saturday when the place was buzzing. Not only were there large numbers of tourists, ably marshalled by a team of volunteer guides, but a service of Baptism had just been held. The coffee shop was almost full but we found a space to refresh ourselves with delicious home-made cake, and this highly "instagrammable" coffee. There is lots going on the whole time, even including a two week course in the summer to enable you to read the New Testament in Greek! A cathedral well worth a visit.